History- St Patrick’s Historic Catholic Church Toledo, Ohio
The Historic Church of Historic Saint Patrick is one of Toledo’s most important and imaginative religious structures. Its history reaches as far back as the city’s beginnings and its founder is still respected for his efforts to improve the community.
Father Edward Hannin was 36 years old when he was assigned to organize a parish in Toledo’s Irish Catholic population. It was a challenge, for in 1862 the city was busy constructing the Miami and Erie Canal and its laborers were more interested in saloons than churches.
|The First Church —|
|May 1862||Property on the corner of Lafayette and Thirteenth Streets purchased.|
|July 4, 1862||Cornerstone of the church was laid.|
|Feb 1, 1863||First service held in the church. Dimensions – 56′ x 125′ and built of brick.|
|May 17, 1863||Dedication. With furnishings, organ, and bell, total cost approximately $27,000.|
By 1891 the church became unsafe. The parish hall, constructed in 1873-1874, was used as a temporary church to where all pews, altars and furnishings were moved. The old church was taken down.
|The Present Church —|
|May, 1892||Foundation of the new church on the site of the old was
commenced and completed in November, 1892.
To guard against signs of settlement in the new edifice further
work was discontinued and the foundation was allowed to remain
as it was for one entire year.
|Spring, 1894||Construction resumed.|
|July 15, 1894||Cornerstone laid.|
|1897||Woodwork for Gothic ceilings put in place.|
|Dec 25, 1900||Church used for the first time.|
|April 13, 1901||Dedication. The altars were decorated with
roses, lilies, fern, azaleas and vines. A choir of 75 voices and
4 soloists, the great organ, and an orchestra combined for
Mozart’s Twelfth Mass.
Architecture is pure Gothic
Length — 180’2″
Width — Nave-82’6″, Transept-119’6″
Height — Side Walls-45′, Transept and Nave-65’6″
Spire was 240′ high
Original seating capacity — 1400
Exterior — Amhurst blue sandstone
|The sanctuary, side and gallery windows were donated by parishioners as were the columns. The Nativity in the right transept was donated by the Daughters of Mary. Saint Patrick and the Birth of Christianity was donated by the Ancient Order of Hibernians and its Ladies Auxiliary. All windows with the exception of the clerestory windows located high on the walls are stained glass. The clerestory windows are from the original church and are imitation stained glass.|
Main Altar – Saint Patrick, Saint Anthony (left), Saint Edward (right).
Left Side Altars – Guardian Angel, Saint Agnes, Blessed Virgin, Saint Teresa of Avila.
Right Side Altars – Saint Ignatius, Saint Joseph, Saint Benedict the Moor, The Child Jesus.
Vestibule – Life size, the four Evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, donated by parishioners.
Plaques on entering the church —
— on the left lists men and women of the parish serving in World War I.
— on the right lists window restoration benefactors.
Later Additions and Changes —
Extensive remodeling was done by Father Keyes during the 1920’s. New chandeliers replaced the old, and matching wall lights were installed. Marble on the altar floor and walls was added, and stations of the cross replaced station pictures. Terrazzo floor with shamrocks was laid and new altar furniture was added.
In 1937, a new wooden cross sheathed in copper, covered with an outer layer of gold leaf and measuring 9′ x 14′ was placed on top of the spire.
The morning of September 9, 1980, the steeple was struck by lightning resulting in a fire causing extensive damage which required removal of the remainder of the spire. In falling, the cross caused major damage to the roof.
|1862 – 1902||Very Rev. Edward A. Hannin|
|1903 – 1922||Rev. James P. McCloskey|
|1922 – 1935||Rev. Francis J. Keyes|
|1935 – 1968||Rev. Edmund J. Connolly|
|1968 – 1981||Msgr. Jerome E. Schmit|
|1981 – 1990||Rev. John A. Thomas|
|1990 – 1991||Rev. Thomas J. Gorman|
|1991 – 1997||Rev. Richard J. Saelzler|
|1997 – 2005||Very Rev. Michael R. Billian, VE|
|2005 – 2013||Rev. Dennis P. Hartigan|
|2013 –||Reverend Monsignor Christopher P. Vasko|
You voted, we won- Best House of Worship 2017!
Click here to view results: Toledo City Paper Best of Toledo 2017
Please join us for worship!
Wi-Fi access is available on premises for parishioners and guests by request!